Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Countrymen

Usually, my poetry performances are debaucherous affairs, but I took a more serious tack this last reading at Java Monkey. These poems are from my recent feature, and together, they describe how I have experienced this country: the beauty and energy as well as the violence and xenophobia. To truly love a place, like America, I think one needs to see clearly its virtues as well as its faults.

This one's about the beauty:


This one's about some violence:


This is about my grandmother, and by extension, me:


This is a crowd favorite, but it's angry, or at least loudly disappointed:


This is about hip hop. What is more American than hip hop?


Thanks to everyone who came out! Sorry it took so long for me to post the vids! All the books I cited during the reading are in the Amazon box in the sidebar
Peace and poetry,
Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails